Tuesday, August 29, 2006

You can never tell ...



Sara's my firstborn. I could have never guessed 19 years ago that this is where we would be. Granted she was born a Liberal to a staunch Republican (more on this later), but I was able to pull her slowly from the dark side as she grew.

I have 5 kids ranging in age from 5 to 19. The 5-year-old is the only boy. The odds of a "blacksheep" is more than 50/50. You see, my oldest is a nerd. She is in a family of tattooed freaks -- unmarked and knitting.

It's not just the knitting -- that was just the ultimate proof. She decided just 2 years ago to try to learn ... by herself ... from a book. And now she's making her own patterns and planning her life around fiber.



Knitting projects are all around. She only speaks in crazy knitting lingo. She wants a knitting job. She's traveling to New York from Colorado for a big knitting gala. She spends 90% of her money from child care on knitting hub-bub.

Sometimes she looks sad. I love her so I ask, "hey, what's up? Can I help." And then the can of worms. Discontinued yarn, miscalculated stitches, new and expensive yarn she NEEDS. And all of this is Greek to me. I try to be supportive, but I can only stare blankly. It's like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher.

So, I saved her from a life on the left only to lose her to life lost in the abyss of fiber and needles. And you can't tell me it's not an abyss ... just look at her aunt's sewing room at my sister's blog.



1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I always knew you'd have a child like me - and leave my room out of this.

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home